Sunday, April 28, 2013

Almost 62 And Fit: What's Your Excuse


In a few weeks I will turn 62. That age no longer seems old to me. Just three years ago as I contemplated entering the last year in my fifties, I was depressed. And fat. Really fat. And really out of shape.

Fast forward to this morning. After a good night's rest (rule #3), and some time in First Samuel, I hopped on the bike and headed to the pool store for some supplies. Four miles before breakfast. Then off to the beach and some swimming in the Atlantic and then returned home to swim a few laps in the pool. Yesterday was full, with weekly shopping, mowing the lawn, and 18 holes of golf.

All of that is only possible because I can now make that the typical day. Three years ago I weighed 367 pounds, and looked OLD. This week I weigh 206 and don't look so old.

Okay, maybe I don't do the beach or play golf every day, but I do get in 20 to 40 minutes of cardio or a trip to the gym or a session with my kettle bells. Every day. I watch what I eat and keep my calories in line with my daily activity. It's a lifestyle, not a diet or a program. If I can do it, then you can as well.

Need more inspiration? Read this great post from Niall Traynor.

By Niall Traynor the Trainer On 15 Oct, 2012

(a short excerpt will show you why you should read it)
Who do you know who is 60 and fit? For the great majority of us we let age be an excuse to stop trying to get into really great shape. There is no doubt that working out as we get older can be more challenging but that just means we have to be smarter and more patient with our progress. Below are a couple of videos of some truly fit gents over 60. While these guys have worked out most of their lives, there are many examples of people who started working out at 40, 50, or 60 who have gone on to tremendously increase their strength and reduce their excess weight.
Eat Right. Excercise. Get Plenty of Rest. That's all there is to it.

No comments: