Sunday, February 26, 2012

Make Exercise Workouts a Habit

Over the last 18 months I have developed the habit of eating right and exercising daily. These last 7 days were a challenge to both. While attending the large HIMSS 2012 Annual Conference, I did not have access to my usual daily routine, but I adapted. Every day I tracked my calories. Every day I did some cardio. But not in my normal way because I was not home with my JourneyGym or my Elliptical Trainer or a pantry stocked with the good foods that Cheryl and I buy. Eating right was easy. It's a habit now to make good choices, and to eat sensibly sized meals. Working out was the challenge. Yet, every day I found a way to get in at least two miles of walking (usually more) and even found one afternoon to get in a run around my daughter's neighborhood. Tim Taylor talks about the importance of habits in his well written post of today titled Workout Habits ! ! ! - Bodies Unlimited Personal Training. Here's a snippet:

Habits whether good or bad are formed between 21 and 28 days. If you go to the gym or just walk for three to four weeks without missing a day, you will have made exercise a habit. It becomes part of your daily routine. If exercise is skipped, you will feel as if something was missing from your day.

Take the time to read Tim's post and leave a comment there, or here. And then share with others who need a little motivation to keep at it.


Be sure to eat some breakfast, and take Clif Bar with you.
Eat right. Exercise. Every day!

$10 Off the purchase of $100 in the Home and Outdoor and Sports Stores at Buy.com! New customers only. Valid until 2/29/2012.
The Disclaimers, Shameless and Legal Stuff

I am not a doctor. I am not a certified trainer. I am not a professional body builder. I m in better shape and I do know a lot of stuff that those experts told me, but I don't have a paper that says so, and they haven't told me everything they know yet. Or as Uncle Buck said: "You should always consult a professional, like your doctor, before you begin any weight loss program, and you should ask an expert before you try some of the foods and exercise that Cheryl and Doc use." In other words, this blog contains my opinion on what might work and is for folks who are serious about changing their life. It should not be construed as anything more than what I found on my journey, and how I learned to use it. So you have now been warned: Do attempt the journey on your own without consulting a professional or gaining parental approval.

By the way, I am still looking for old photos or scrapbooks from times when we might have been together in the same place at the same time. Especially interested in photos of KPOW Radio in Powell, Wyoming.  OR any thing else that you might want to share.  Send them to me privately by clicking this email link for photos@blogs.docdevore.com. Please! With sugar on it?. Trust me - they won't end up here unless you give me permission.

1 comment:

FastJack said...

I liked his message and yours. I have been struggling with motivation this past few weeks. I believe due to he nature of this business and tax season and maybe just seasonal depression. I just feel whipped all the time....BUT it's temporary. I just have to keep pushing on.