Saturday, November 17, 2012

Reasons to Exercise - Benefits of Working Out - RealAge

A few months ago one of the "unsolicited" emails I received was an invitation to discover my real age. I was intrigued. After clicking a link from Dr. Oz and completing a lengthy survey, I had the answer. Not the one I wanted mind you. But it made sense. All those years of being grossly overweight took a toll and pushed my "real" age beyond my actual age. By almost six years.

Actual age 61.5
My REAL Age 67.1
Difference +5.6
Taken 09/2012

I wonder what the results would have been two years ago when I was not exercising and not eating right. Probably scary. What I can tell you today is that Cheryl, TLOML, regularly comments on the energy I have. Co-workers ask how I stay in shape. One young man I worked with last summer even thought I was only 40 years old. One of my sisters recently said that I should do one of those Tough Mudder or Warrior Dash events. Another friend recently told me I had inspired her to get in shape and thanked me for her accomplishment of losing 100 pounds in the last year. One of our sons recently sent me a note saying how proud he was that I had "stayed with it."

All of those are pretty good reasons to exercise. Here's another one.

The "holiday season" is upon us. Soon you will be tempted with wonderful delights like turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, pumpkin pie, Christmas candies, and office parties with their not so healthy snacks. Turn up the exercise level and enjoy! Remember - whether you are trying to maintain weight, lose weight, or gain some weight, it's just simple math. Want to enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie? That's 280 calories. Go ahead; eat it. Then take a brisk 28 minute walk. For the last two years I have actually lost weight during the period from Thanksgiving to New Years. The secret is not all that secret. I track everything I eat at MyFitnessPal.Com. And I track my exercise.  One more fact to remember.  A pound of fat is roughly equal to 3500 calories. You can survive the holidays and still lose weight. Or at least not gain any weight. And then your friends will say you look younger and ask how you do it.

Tomorrow I'll post about making it through the next few weeks without gaining weight. Right now you should go see what Dr. Oz and the folks at RealAge.Com are some good reasons to exercise.

Be sure to eat breakfast, and take a Clif Bar with you.

Eat Right. Exercise. Get Plenty of Rest.

No comments: