Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tip For Eating Right - Experiment with Recipes

Cheesy Tuna Melts - 234 calories each serving
When it became obvious to those around me that I was losing weight, even during the "holidays", I started getting the question, "What diet are you on?" I wish I had said the Double D Diet, as in Doc DeVore Diet.  Hmm. That would be the Triple D .

The question was usually asked by someone who wanted to lose weight but didn't want to give up their favorite foods. I am here to tell you that eating right does not have to mean eating rabbit food or tasteless drivel. For me eating right meant quitting all the salty snacks and replacing with regular meals, what my Uncle Buck would call "three squares" a day. For the last 18 months my "diet" has been pretty much the same every day. Eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast. Soup and sandwich for lunch. A pasta dish for dinner along with plenty of vegetables. A Clif Bar for snack in the morning, maybe another one in the afternoon.

But every now and then I spice it up by going over to AllRecipes.Com and looking for something that fits into my daily goals. Eating right can be fun! And tasty! If you get the AllRecipes Dinner Spinner Pro app for your phone, you can even "spin" combinations into view until you find one that you like. That's how I found Cheesy Tuna Melts. So, one Saturday morning I went to Publix, picked up the ingredients (see below) and baked up a batch. This was breakfast and lunch for three days - they warm up nice in the microwave.

Prep time about 5 minutes. Cooking time about 3 to 5 minutes. Three days of healthy meals in just 10 minutes.

Ingredients

  • 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained
  • 1/3 cup chopped celery
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 4 English muffins, split and toasted
  • 8 slices ripe tomato
  • 8 slices Cheddar cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to broil.
  2. In a bowl, mix together tuna, celery, mayonnaise and salt. Spread tuna mixture onto the toasted muffin halves and place them on a baking sheet. Top each half with a slice of tomato and a slice of cheese.
  3. Broil until cheese is melted, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Nutritional Information
Cheesy Tuna Melts
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 234
  • Total Fat: 12.8g
  • Cholesterol: 37mg
  • Sodium: 431mg
  • Total Carbs: 14.6g
  •     Dietary Fiber: 0.3g
  • Protein: 15g

Eat Right. Exercise. Get Plenty of Rest.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

FastJack said...

Thanks, Doc! Love your posts!